The sciatic nerve is the longest nerve in the human body. It runs from the spine through the hip, then down into the leg and ankle. When this nerve is compressed or irritated, it often causes a condition called sciatica. This is a common condition that we see and treat regularly at Sylvia Chiropractic Center in Kinston, NC. Our resident chiropractors, Dr. James Sylvia and Dr. Simone Simaan, have a combined 50 years of experience rehabilitating patients using natural chiropractic techniques.
What is sciatica?
Sciatica is a name that covers the myriad of symptoms that present themselves when the sciatic nerve is compressed, irritated, and/or inflamed. The term sciatica can also refer to a severe injury of the sciatic nerve. In general, this condition is caused by spinal disc issues, joint misalignment, some types of arthritis, or muscular imbalances. Issues with the sciatic nerve usually result in any combination of the following symptoms:
- Numbness or tingling in the affected extremities
- Pain radiating through the leg and lower back
- Muscular weakness
- In severe cases, loss of bladder or bowel control
How can sciatica be treated?
At Sylvia Chiropractic Center in Kinston, NC, we see many patients come in with sciatic nerve issues. We treat individuals on a case-by-case basis, so one patient's treatment plan may look different from another's depending on the root cause of their issue. Generally speaking, Dr. Sylvia and Dr. Simaan treat sciatica patients using the following methods:
- Chiropractic adjustments: We use gentle adjustments to realign the spine and alleviate pressure on the sciatic nerve.
- Spinal decompression: This technique involves stretching the spine to release pressure on the spinal discs and relieve sciatica pain.
- Traction table therapy: We use specialized equipment to apply pressure to targeted areas of the spine, which improves mobility and reduces pain.
- Electrical muscle stimulation: This therapy involves placing electrodes on specific muscles to improve muscular function and alleviate pain.
- Hydrocollator packs: These are moist heating packs that reduce inflammation and pain, which is particularly useful in treating sciatica.
Our doctors take great pride in providing patients with lasting remedies and a deep understanding of their conditions. With our high-quality equipment and competent staff, expect the best service when working with us.
If you're based in the Kinston, NC, area and are suffering from sciatica, Sylvia Chiropractic Center is here to help! Give us a call at (232) 523-1900, or simply submit an appointment request online by following this link if you prefer. Dr. Sylvia or Dr. Simaan will be happy to meet with you to discuss your path back to health.